Sweet Potato and Feta Tart, with its hidden layer of caramelized onion, is the perfect vegetarian dish for an easy lunch or a light dinner.
For the roasted sweet potato
500 g (3 1/2 cups) sweet potato peeled and cut into 1cm cubes
2 Tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves garlic
2 – 3 Tablespoons rosemary leaves 2 – 3 large sprigs
Salt & pepper
For the tart
1 batch Kamut & Spelt Pastry or pre-purchased shortcrust pastry
2 Tablespoons Caramelised Onions
500 g (3 1/2 cups) roasted sweet potato
125 g (2/3 cup) feta cheese crumbled
125 ml (1/2 cup) whipping cream
125 ml (1/2 cup) full fat milk
1 egg yolk extra
Salt & pepper
- To roast the sweet potato
- Preheat the oven to 200C (180C fan forced).
- Place the sweet potato in a large bowl and set aside.
- Roughly chop the garlic and then the rosemary.
- Mix the rosemary and garlic together on the chopping board, then continue mincing the herbs and garlic until they are both finely chopped.
- Scatter the rosemary mixture over the sweet potato.
- Drizzle over the olive oil, and season with salt & pepper.
- Toss everything together until the sweet potato cubes are well covered with oil.
- Spread evenly on a baking tray, and bake for 30 minutes or until the sweet potato is starting to brown and is just cooked.
- Remove from the oven and set aside.
- To make the tart shell
- Preheat the oven to 190C (170C fan forced)
- Roll out the pastry to fit your tart tin.
- Gently line the tin with the pastry.
- Place a piece of baking paper over the pastry and fill the tin with dried rice or beans, or pastry weights if you have them.*
- Bake the tart for 10 – 15 minutes, or until the edges of the tart turn a light, golden colour.
- Remove the weights and the baking paper.
- Reduce the oven to 180C (160C fan forced).
- Continue to bake for a further 10 minutes, or until the base of the tart has set and lightly brown.
- Remove the tart shell from the oven.
- To make the custard
- Whisk the cream, milk, egg, egg yolk, and salt & pepper together in a jug.
- Set aside.
- To assemble & bake the tart
- Set the oven to 190C (170C fan forced).
- Place the tart shell on a baking tray.
- Spread the caramelized onions in a thin layer over the base of the tart shell.
- Evenly distribute the sweet potato over the caramelized onions.
- Scatter the feta cheese over the sweet potato, allowing it to fall into the gaps between the sweet potato.
- Gently fill the tart shell 2/3 full of custard.
- Place the tart in the oven (still on the baking tray) and fill the tart shell with the remaining custard#.
- Bake the tart for 10 minutes.
- Reduce the oven to 180C (160C fan forced)
- Continue to bake for a further 10 minutes, or until the tart is golden and the middle is just set.
- Remove the tart from the oven, and allow to rest for 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.