Cupcakes have become quite a phenomenon in the last few years. It seems that every bakery is selling them, #people are setting up home baking businesses, and there are thousands of cookbooks. Cupcakes are everywhere! So if you´re among their fans, here are some interesting and strange facts about cupcakes …
1. In Britain cupcakes are called fairy cakes. Fairy cakes use a lighter glacé icing compared to the butter cream used by American bakers. They also are traditionally made with a lighter sponge cake as opposed to the thicker butter cakes used in our cupcakes. Alternatively, a fairy cake is a type of cupcake with its top cut off and replaced in two pieces, like wings. These are also called “butterfly cupcakes.”
2.In Australia they are called patty cakes (as in “patty cake, patty cake, baker’s man…”)
3. Hostess CupCakes, arguably the world’s most famous cupcake, were originally made in the 1950s. Instead of making full-sized cakes, the company decided to make cupcakes because they take less time to bake than cakes. Less time baking (17 minutes) means more cupcakes can be made in a single day! The Hostess conveyor oven can turn out 11,000 cupcakes an hour!
4. AGE. In spite of their recent popularity, cupcakes are not a new invention. They are actually over 200 years old (yes, I know, you wouldn´t eat one that was that old, it would be stale …). The earliest mention of cupcakes is at the end of the 18th century.
5. The largest cupcake ever was apparently one baked in Washington, DC. It weighed a massive ton, and required 600 POUNDS of frosting. You wouldn´t want to mix that lot up by hand, would you? It is not recorded how many people it took to eat the cupcake.
3. THEY´RE TV STARS. The #people responsible for the above giant cupcake are actually the “stars” of a show called DC Cupcakes, which is now in its third season. I suppose it makes a change from the usual “celebs” that star in reality shows, but how much TV can you get out of cupcakes?
4. HOW MANY?? If we´re discussing facts about cupcakes, then we have to #look at the record for cupcakes-eating. Apparently it´s 29 in 30 seconds. If this is true – and their texture would make them easy to consume quickly – the cupcake eating champion must have felt rather unwell afterwards …
5. WEDDING CAKES. Are you getting married soon? Do you find the idea of a traditional fruit cake rather boring? Well, why not have cupcakes instead! You´d be joining the 13% of brides (I doubt the grooms take any part in this decision) who serve cupcakes at their #wedding.
6. HOLIDAY OF THEYEAR. There is a National Day for Just about everything, so many days are probably having to double up. December 15th is National Cupcake Day (and presumably something else besides). You probably #don´t need any encouragement – every day is cupcake day!
7. THAT´S A LOT OF DOUGH …
…or rather, cake mix. One New York company, the aptly named Crumbs, sold a massive $23.5 million worth of cupcakes in 2009. If just one company is selling that many, I wonder how many cupcakes were sold throughout the world?
8. I want that one…
If your beloved offers to buy you a cupcake, then take him up on his offer. But don´t go for an ordinary Red Velvet – tell him you want the gourmet version! Yes, there is one decorated with a diamond engagement ring, costing $55k. It´s his fault if he didn´t specify a maximum price!