- 2 large eggs, whisked
- 3/4 cup applesauce, unsweetened
- 1/3 cup raw honey or maple syrup
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tsp baking powder, aluminum free
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups grated carrots, packed
- 1 cup oat bran or quick/rolled oats
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup raisins or chopped dates (not packed)
- 1/3 cup nuts, coarsely chopped (walnuts (I used cheaper pieces rather than whole), pecans, hazelnuts)
- Cooking spray (I use Misto)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and spray non-stick 12 muffin tin with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add eggs, applesauce, honey, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, baking soda, salt and whisk well to combine. Add carrots and stir a few times. Add oat bran or oats and whole wheat flour; gently mix until combined. Do not over mix. Stir in raisins and nuts.
- Distribute batter evenly between 12 openings of a tin (I used regular ice cream scoop) and bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Let muffins cool for a few minutes and transfer to a cooling rack to cool off completely.
Storage Instructions: Refrigerate in a glass airtight container for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 6 months.