2 tbsp olive oil
, plus extra for brushing
, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
50g fresh breadcrumbs
100g pecans, finely chopped
1 tbsp thyme leaves, chopped
50ml vegan vegetable stock or water
12 medjool dates, pitted
12 small sage leaves
See conversion here
Heat the oil in a frying pan.
- Add the shallot and a generous pinch of salt and cook for 2-3 mins until softened, then add the garlic, breadcrumbs, pecans and thyme and cook for 1 min more.
- Add a splash of vegetable stock to bring the mixture together, then set aside.
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas
- Cut the dates in half lengthways (but don’t cut all the way through).
- Take small balls of the stuffing and push inside the dates, then push the sides of the dates back together.
- Put a sage leaf on top of each date, then put the dates on a baking tray lined with baking parchment.
- Get ahead by prepping your dates up to this point – they will keep in the fridge overnight ready to be baked.
- Brush the outside of the dates liberally with olive oil, then bake for 15-20 mins until the sage leaf is crisp.
- Serve immediately.